Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sugar ARGGG

Sugar ARGGG

I just bought 4 packages of various dried fruits. As soon as I took the first bite,
I knew there had to be added sugar. I had only read the label on one of the
packages. Sure enough, even with only two ingredient, with they way they
worded it, I had missed that they added sugar to the fruit!

Last week, I challenged my teenage sons to each pick out a box of cereal for
themselves. My only rule was that it couldn't have sugar or a form of sugar
in the first three ingredients. I had wanted to make it the first five ingredients
but was afraid that would be too difficult. Turns out, it was IMPOSSIBLE
to find even one box that didn't have it in the first 3. Not Cheerios, not
flavored oatmeal, not Wheat Chex, or Wheeties or flakes, nada.

Now my boys were just plain mad at me instead on the cereal manufactures!
My boys don't understand that the average American eats 120 POUNDS of
sugar a year! And they don't understand the negative effects of that sugar on
our bodies and immune systems. A great book on the subject is Sugar Blues.
Read it years ago, but I believe that the authors name is William Duffy. I'm
sure about the Duffy part, not so sure of the first name. Anyway, he even
says that sugar is added to canned corn and cigarettes!

No comments:

Chanson Water Ionizers - Health Insurance from your TAP