Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Diet, Diet, Diet...Nope

Diets fail. Lose a little, gain it back and then some. Lifestyle changes work. But it can be hard to make changes if you don't have the support of the people around you. My two teenage boys are the perfect example. I've wanted to eat healthier for ages. But they complain when something has the word "organic" on it. In their minds the word "organic" equals "fake." So cooking two meals is a pain. My way around that is that I let them cook and eat whatever they want within reason after they've eaten some of what I made.

Most diets are about depravation. Count your calories, eat less, bla bla bla. My new diet isn't about depravation or about calorie counting. It's about making healthier choices. Choice number one, I will have fresh vegetable juice or a Blueberry smoothie in the morning for breakfast. I've never been a breakfast fan, but I choose to have something now because it is impossible to loose weight on less that 3 meals a day, your body goes into preservation mode. Five small meals are even better than 3 if you want to lose weigh.

Men and women actually lose weight differently. Because of that I'm going to join Ronnie on a very public diet. Have you seen that commercial where the fat cartoon lady is complaining that her husband quit drinking soda and lost 14 pounds and she lost one? I laugh every time I see that commercial because it's so true! Like I said in a previous post, Ronnie lost 40 pounds last year with very little effort. I wasn't as committed and didn't come close to matching his results. This year, I am committed and want to see how far that commitment can take me.

I've packed up the left over homemade Christmas candy to mail to my daughter so it won't go to waste and will be out of temptations way.

I'm going to exercise up to 20 minutes 3 times a week. I haven't done any exercise this past week because all the excess sugar over the holiday lowered my immune system and gave me a bad cold. I'm still sniffling and weak so I'll hold off on exercise for a few days. Most of my work is done form the computer so I lead a very sedentary lifestyle. I've had three gym memberships in the past and never went for more than 5 months and NEVER lost any weight from working out. As a matter of fact, I always gained weight and the trainers would smile and say that was good because muscle weights more than fat.

This post is getting long, so I will wrap it up. I will be posting our starting weights and some pictures soon. The main reason that you should follow along with our progress on the blog is to see how easy it is to lose weight with the methods we will be using.

Because I want increased energy more than I want weight loss I will be adding a lot more raw food into my diet. For people who don't know about raw food, the thing that comes to mind is raw meat or carrots and celery sticks. Let me assure you, there is now raw meat. And while I may choose some carrots and celery sticks from time to time, there is a whole world of great tasting easy to prepare gourmet raw foods which we will explore on the blog.

Consider this passage of scripture from the book of Daniel in the old testament of the Bible. Chapter one verse 8-16.
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs. And the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, "I fear my lord the king, who has appointed your food and drink. For why should he see your faces looking worse than the young men who are your age? Then you would endanger my head before the king." So Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah,

"Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. "Then let our appearance be examined before you, and the appearance of the young men who eat the portion of the king's delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your servants."
So he consented with them in this matter, and tested them ten days. And at the end of ten days their features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king's delicacies. Thus the steward took away their portion of delicacies and the wine that they were to drink, and gave them vegetables.

By Nedalee Ruiz
Nedalee is the author of The Desperate Parents Handbook
http://www.desperateparent.com/
Nedalee recommends http://www.healingwatermachines.com/ for more articles on health and healing.
Copyright © 2007 By Nedalee Ruiz
Permission granted to reproduce in entirety only including links and author credits.

No comments:

Chanson Water Ionizers - Health Insurance from your TAP